Frank Candiloro is a comic writer, artist and self-publisher from Melbourne.
Initially an animator and video editor, Candiloro created their first comic story, Millennial Monsters in 2009, published in the pages of Yuck #2 by Milk Shadow Books. They followed this with The Adventures of White Wolf, a weekly webcomic which ran from 2009-2011 and was the winner of Best New Project in Victoria at the 2010 Express Media Awards.
In October 2010, Candiloro published their first book, a 10 page, full colour story called Rabid Rabbits Raid The Earth, under the self-publishing label of FrankenComics. They have been publishing books under that label ever since.
In 2016, after the creation of their minicomic Medicine Cabinet, Candiloro went on a year-long hiatus from creating comics, citing "burnout" and feeling dissatisifed with comics in general. They attempted to make one final comic, You Know I'm No Good, based on xyr experiences in New York City but was ultimately never finished. Despite this, they kept busy with illustration as well as a career in music with the alias "DJ Frankenstylin".
In 2017, Candiloro began work with the 60 page graphic novel Prince Transylforia, which has yet to be finished. They made their return to comics in 2018 with a short comic Worse Things, debuting at the Sticky Zine Fair in February. This was followed up with two more comics, Hell Broke Luce and The Black Cat. They also joined the small press distributor Zine Gang Distro, who is in charge of distributing Candiloro's comics across Melbourne.
Candiloro has also been nominated for several Ledger Awards for their comics Onna-bugeisha, Pistoleras, 9779 and Medicine Cabinet, and won the Bronze Ledger Award for Monster Zero in 2015. They have also contributed illustration work for publications such as RRR, Concrete Queers, Oi Oi Oi, the Melbourne Comic Collective, Cordite Poetry Review, Screen Magazine, the Minicomics Monthly Comic Club, Perfectly Normal magazine and the Australian Comics Journal.
As of this date, they have created and brought out 29 books. These stories typically involve horror and sci-fi, influenced by German Expressionism, classic pop culture and 1920s cinema. They also tackle societal themes such as identity, gender, bullying and creative expression.
Published comic workEdit
- Millennial Monsters #1 and 2 - Published in Yuck #2 and #3 by Milk Shadow Books
- Millennial Monsters #3 - Published in Yuck #4 by Milk Shadow Books
- Rabid Rabbits Raid The Earth - 10 pages, full colour
- Millennial Monsters Vol. 1 - Collects issues #1-3, 20 pages, black and white
- Millennial Monsters #4 - Published in Yuck #5 by Milk Shadow Books
- Lil' Vargg - Published in Yuck #6 by Milk Shadow Books
- The Adventures of White Wolf - Collects all the webcomic strips from 2009-2011, 44 pages, black and white
- The Testament of Doktor Zeitpunkt - Part I - 30 pages, black and white
- 2wo - 20 pages, black and white
- The Testament of Doktor Zeitpunkt - Part II - 40 pages, black and white
- The Widowmaker - 25 pages, black and white
- Blood Across Broadway - 70 pages, black and white
- Thicker Than Water - 40 pages, black and white
- Behind The Crooked Cross - 55 pages, black and white
- Viddy Well, Brother - 30 pages, black and white
- Putting The Pussy On A Pedestal - written by Ben John Smith, published in Yuck #7 by Milk Shadow Books
- Unicorn Death Trap - written by James Andre, published in Yuck #7 by Milk Shadow Books
- Budd & Luu - Part I - 40 pages, black and white
- Beyond The Moon - 50 pages, black and white with colour
- Budd & Luu - Part II - 50 pages, black and white
- Mail-Order Mutant - 40 pages, black and white
- Where Are The Dark Woods? - adaptation of poem written by Alison Croggon, published in Cordite Poetry Review 43.1: Pumpkin by Kent McCarter
- Onna-bugeisha - 100 pages, black and white.
- Monster Zero - 25 pages, full colour
- Mary - 8 pages, black and white.
- Pistoleras - 42 pages, black and white
- 9779 - 12 pages, full colour
- Insert Coin - 20 pages, full colour
- Nonna - 20 pages, black and white
- Black - 10 pages, black and white with colour.
- We Came To Kill - 60 pages, black and white.
- A. - 20 pages, black and white with colour.
- Medicine Cabinet - 20 pages, full colour.
- Worse Things - 5 pages, black and white
- Hell Broke Luce - 10 pages, colour
- The Black Cat - 15 pages, black and white
- Prince Transylforia (work in progress).